Alles über das Star Citizen Universum

newest submissions : starcitizen

BeitragBeitrag #31 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:05

--------
Alpha 3.0 Atmospheric flight model
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:05
By /u/Sprectre-ZERO-1

Hello everyone!

With the Evocati for 3.0 finally getting deployed, I thought I would share my thoughts/ideas/fever dreams about the atmospheric flight model in Alpha 3.0.

As we all know the atmospheric flight model in Alpha 3.0 sparked quite a bit of controversy. And rightly so IMO. I was able to try out the flight model during Gamescom this year. 2x 20min sessions might not be enough for an in depth review, but enough to have a general feel of the upcoming model. In a nutshell: Planetary flight feels too much like space flight. There is no real sense of mass while flying. But especially during hovering (standing in the air with zero acceleation or speed) and dogfighting. When you can take a Cutlass, fly it in the air, stop midair and point directly to the ground to shoot at anything in sight, you know this doesn't feel right. CIG knows about that and I'm sure they will take steps to ensure an immersive experience during atmospheric flight. I know I played an old build then and since we are in the Alpha Phase, everything is subject to change. However I'd like to share my thoughts and ideas of how to make the atmospheric flight model feel more realistic and fun without making it too restricting. If you'd like to skip the following wall of text, there is a tl;dr at the bottom. You have been warned.

First of all I'm against the idea to artifically limit movement in any kind during atmospheric flight. Instead there should be natural restrictions while flying inside an atmosphere. When you try to fly your ship on a planet like you do in space, you'll get punished. Either by G-Forces or the environment (weather, atmosphere, gravity). Not by limitations like disabling certain maneuvers or locations (invisible walls).

Let's talk about hovering. My idea is that only certain types of ships are able to "effectively" hover. What I mean by "effectively" is that you can hover mid air without the fear of stalling (happens when a craft can not make enough lift to keep itself in level flight) or falling to the ground. However, once your are hovering there a certain restriction of how you can move your ship. If you roll or pitch too much, your ship will warn you, that you'll soon lose stability. If you don't correct your position, you'll stall and lose control. If you want to hover, you'll need to keep your ship mostly level. So no artificial restricions. Fighter-class ships (Gladius, Hornet etc.) are able to effectively hover without execption. Only certain mid-sized ships should be able to do that aswell. Ships like the Prowler and Retaliator which can direct their main thrusters towards the ground during precision mode. Which brings me to another point. You should only be able to enter a hovering status during precision mode. When you try to hover in SCM, your ships will stall and start falling to the ground. Any other ship will not be able to hover without penalties. Let's say you are in a ship like a Freelancer, Starfarer, Idris etc. during atmospheric flight, you can enter precision mode to prepare for landing. The ship decelerates until it reaches zero speed. Now you are hovering. However you'll notice that you start to lose altitide. You start falling faster and faster. To couter that you need to burn booster fuel to prevent a crash. Using booster fuel makes you able to hover completely still mid air. Until your run out of fuel, of course. That way you gain that feel of mass for our ship without it being too punishing or restricting.

The last part is a little shorter but still just as important. The flight speed on a planet. Basically during normal flight (SCM) you'll need a certain minimum amount of speed to stay in the air. During Precision Mode you can fly any speed you want. The maneuvering thrusters are countering the gravitational pull. But you'll need to keep your craft somewhat level to maintain control. In SCM you will stall once your speed is too slow. You could fly below minimum speed during SCM by burning Booster fuel which gives more power to the maneuvering thrusters. Basically: maximum Precision Mode speed (50 m/s = 180 km/h = 111 mph = 97 knots) = minimum SCM speed In general I think the maneuvering thrusters should have much less power in SCM. That would make dogfighting in an atmosphere much more immersive and the maneuvering more tactical.

Tl;dr - no artificial restricions in movement. Only environmental factors - only fighter-class ships can hower without booster fuel. As long as they don't roll or pitch too much - hovering only possible during precision mode and at a mostly level stance - most bigger ships need booster fuel to prevent falling to the ground while hovering - minimum speed during SCM to prevent stalling. You go below minimum speed during SCM, you'll stall - in precision mode you can fly as slow as you want - much less power for maneuvering thrusters during SCM

Anyway those are my thoughts and ideas about the atmospheric flight model. Let me know what you think. Apologies in advance for spelling an formatting. English isn't my first language. Plus my very first Reddit post.

Have a nice day!

submitted by /u/Sprectre-ZERO-1
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller
Danke gesagt: 0 mal
Wurde gedankt: 0 mal

Werbung

Werbung

BeitragBeitrag #32 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:10

--------
Exploration Mechanic Idea *100 Systems Not Enough*
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:07
By /u/Underwrought

So with the launch of the game there is supposed to be somewhere around 100 systems. Sounds like a lot however I believe we will see everything explored and found REALLY quickly. It happens every time with this type of game. Devs always under estimate how crazy players can be in terms of playing lol. And I understand that its supposed to be a lot of content packed into these 100 systems but it wont matter trust me. Even with subsumption and emergent gameplay eventually it will get stale I think. And I am betting that its going to feel like the verse is too packed.

An Idea to make it better(maybe) would be to use a mix of procedural generated and hand made content behind the scenes after 1.0 launch. Probably more procedural once its better implemented after launch, to create all or most of the systems on the star map that dont have jump points. I reckon this would be an expansion pack or something maybe even. But anyway say in lore after some time UEE invents a new drive capable of finally traveling to stars outside the jump points which would open a grand explorable galaxy.

I think this would also open up new game mechanics like longer flights to reach these other systems. Making exploring a bit more of a chore as you would have to stock up on spare components and what not. And you would be venturing into the truly unknown.

submitted by /u/Underwrought
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #33 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:20

--------
Some questions about package melting, buy back pledges and future upgrades in-game
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:19
By /u/Txibia

Hey!, I've been reading some stuff about it, but I haven't totally understood it yet. I recently bought the Origin X1 in concept sale, so I got it with the LTI. What I want to do is have the LTI with my actual ship (sabre, upgraded from a Mustang) which is in the game package SC + SQ42. So what I thought is melt the game package, upgrade the X1 into a sabre with USD currency (when it's in sale again) and use the Buy Back Pledge with my game package who originally had a Mustang Alpha, so in the end I would have a Sabre with LTI and the game package with the Mustang Alpha that I originally had. What I want to do is possible or i'm not understanding how this works? And a final question about upgrades: If for example I want a Constellation Aquila, but only have money for a Constellation Taurus, will I be able to upgrade it with game currency (paying the price difference) when the persistent universe is officially released? Or the packages that we are paying now won't mix with the stuff we buy in game, so I will have to pay a full Constellation Aquila in-game and having a Taurus won't help me get it? Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/Txibia
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #34 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:35

Updated at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:35

--------
A reminder of this interview to the explorers here
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:31
By /u/malogos

Bild

submitted by /u/malogos
[comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #35 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:45

--------
Mouse for SC
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:45
By /u/Spacernic

Recently, I posted article about choosing the right mousepad for SC and now I have another question... Which mouse should I choose ? For now I think about Razer Deathadder elite and Rival 300. Your suggestions ?

submitted by /u/Spacernic
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #36 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:55

--------
Star Citizen: Bugsmashers - Shopping Interaction System
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 20:53
By /u/xx-shalo-xx

Bild

submitted by /u/xx-shalo-xx
[comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #37 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 21:30

Updated at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 21:30

--------
Is star citizen a survival game or MMO?
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 21:25
By /u/thomascr9695

I was wondering if Star Citizen is a survival game like rust with spaceships or something like runescape? Thinking of buying a ship on this game. Also: If I buy a ship, will I be enable to play the final game without paying. Also when I'm buying a ship: What will I get access to? Just some nooby questions. Thinking about buying a ship but its still a bit unclear for me.

submitted by /u/thomascr9695
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #38 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 21:55

--------
Zu allen deutschen Citizen auf Discord! ^^(To all German Citizen on Discord! ^^)
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 21:52
By /u/ShoutaDE

Its german matter so the text is just in german: Vor kurzem kam ich mal auf die Idee, mit unbekannten Leuten, die nicht in meiner Org sind SC zu spielen, aber das Problem ist... ich finde nix... Da ich jetzt mal gesucht hab und so keinen Deutschen Discord Server gefunden habe der z.B dafür da ist Leute kennen zu lernen, mit anderen zu zocken etc... habe ich mich beschlossen mal selber einen zu Gründen ^ Dort kann jeder beitreten der Deutsch kann (muss nicht Deutsch sein xD) und Lusst hat mit anderen Citizen zu spielen ^ Der Link zum beitreten: https://discord.gg/dTSZJg

PS: Falls es schon einen größeren deutschen Discord gibt.. schreibt ihn mal hier unten ^ dann schau ich da mal vorbei ^

submitted by /u/ShoutaDE
[link] [comments]

Read more...

Tomorrow on Around the Verse: Take a look at the work being done on improving the cockpit experience and receive another update on Burndown!
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 21:54
By /u/Macquak5

submitted by /u/Macquak5
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #39 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:05

Updated at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:05

--------
ATV Teaser (facebook)
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:03
By /u/Poiuforplop

Bild

submitted by /u/Poiuforplop
[link] [comments]

Read more...

Around The Verse Teaser
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:04
By /u/Macquak5

submitted by /u/Macquak5
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #40 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:20

--------
In-game showcase area: show off assets obligation free
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:16
By /u/Nixnax593

So this thought occured to me. It would be pretty cool to have a showcase area in-game, kept relatively up to date with things like flora and fauna as they are developed. The final versions wouldn't have to go, just whatever is currently there to offer so we can have a look at it all.

Just a station similar in size to the central hub area of Port Olisar. A maze of windows all filled (or to be filled) with all sorts of weird and wonderful creatures.

In addition, you could also throw in some hologram type things of ships, ships in development, new building assets like bunkers, modular ground bases and weapons. As well as this, maybe some large pictures captured from a unique and unseen terrain. Or a chunk of asteroid taken from a planet we are yet to see. Little tasters of both what is to come, and what may come. An area to see little tidbits and snippets of the wider universe, without any promises, no obligations from CIG to implement anything on show. Just an area to show off the beauty in some assets.

Basically like a SC museum. But in-game.

submitted by /u/Nixnax593
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #41 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:40

--------
111,111 citizens, satisfying!
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 22:37
By /u/BOTY123

Bild

submitted by /u/BOTY123
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #42 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 23:10

Updated at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 23:10

--------
The fact that evocati leakers aren't mentioning the Delta Patcher means it's working perfectly
Post at: Mi 11. Okt 2017, 23:07
By /u/9gxa05s8fa8sh

Just saying. We will never think about the patcher again. It probably just works.

Quick and small patches are the new normal. And this will change how they develop the game. More iteration -> more growth!

submitted by /u/9gxa05s8fa8sh
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #43 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » Mi 11. Okt 2017, 23:35

--------
Bulkheads Short: Breaking Brock [Star Citizen machinima]