Danke gesagt: 0 mal
Wurde gedankt: 0 mal

newest submissions : starcitizen

BeitragBeitrag #19 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 11:30

--------
This will be unpopular - Quantum Spline travel should go
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 11:27
By /u/dannyboy1121x

That's right - we should can it, and here's why.

I rejoined the Alpha in 3.0 after backing the game a few years ago specifically to experience the planetary tech / developments. Could CIG deliver something markedly different than its competitors in this area?

The original mechanics were simple -

• Quantum jump to local planetary location.
  • Pick a geostationary orbital marker.
  • Jump to the marker nearest your destination.
  • Descend to the planet from the OM.

This meant a few things:

• You needed local knowledge to work out the best OM for your target location
  • The distance to planetary locations varied from the OM with some taking longer than others.
  • Descent generally took much longer, coming in from a higher location.

These may sound like negatives to many people, but I disagree - and these are my reasons:

• The local knowledge requirement means that players need to gain familiarity with the systems in which they're dealing. It's not a popcorn universe - each and every system within this game will need time and familiarity in order to get the most from it. The game should not be making it easy and it should not make a single mechanic act as a panacea that can be applied in every system. Working out how to game the system should be part of SC.
  • Having some destinations further away - not just in terms of planetary Quantum jumps but also in terms of planetary descent adds another dynamic for trade or other missions. You may find a cargo run which is close to an OM but payback may be low and the opportunity may die back because of competition. You may find something further away from the OM which has a higher payback even though the journey time to that destination is longer.
  • Planetary descent SHOULD be meaningful. We're approaching moons and planets here, not popping to ASDA Walmart to buy cornflakes. In the 3.0 OM version, I'd drop into a planet, find the OM and then make the journey down gradually - and it's where I've had some of my best visual experiences.. One of the things CIG has done better than anyone else is give the impression of planetary scale with the detail of the terrain emerging as you head down. I remember the first time I stole a Freelancer (hehe) and cruised down to Daymar and the whole experience was unique and just a bit mind blowing. Yes it took a bit of time but yes - it actually felt like a meaningful transition.
  • OMs could be dangerous. In a wide open space - the idea of these common choke points with risky elongated planetary descents was a good one for bringing players together. Cargo haulers would have to risk running these points - pirates would haunt them - police and bounty hunters would patrol them.
  • Hopping from orbital station to orbital station with no decent should be quick - but from station to planetary depot should not be the same. It should take much longer to get to the planet - but it should pay more for the effort.

Why not Quantum Spline? Largely because it kills off the positives and opportunities from the above. With Quantum Spline:

• Jump to planet.
  • Quantum spline right on top of the target station.
  • Same short planetary descent as anywhere else in the universe.

It feels convenient / lazy and kills immersion. Travel to planetary destinations becomes a homogenised experience no matter where you are in the universe. Quantum spline brings you in so close that you lose the classic feeling of approaching a huge planetary mass and making the effort to thrust your way down. It almost feels like we're heading to macro territory here - with less game experience so that players can get their cargo runs over more quickly to add numbers to the balance sheet in faster iterations. That's not what appeals to me about the game.

I'm not quite sure that it's appreciated just how much of an impact quantum spline jumps will have in shaping the game. I suspect that I'm going to be on my own here - but would be keen to hear other people's considered thoughts on the matter.

submitted by /u/dannyboy1121x
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #20 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 12:30

Updated at: So 12. Aug 2018, 12:30

--------
Chris explaining the complex coding method behind the upcoming 3.3 update for SC.
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 12:25
By /u/Ravenwood20

Bild

submitted by /u/Ravenwood20
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #21 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 13:00

--------
Question: How to I access Miles Eckhart missions?
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 12:57
By /u/TheRyanDudeMan

I've been trying ECN. I've literally done 14 of them in total. I've tried finding new servers, restarting my computer and restarting the game. I've also tried doing loads of mercenary missions as well but nothing is working

submitted by /u/TheRyanDudeMan
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #22 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 13:25

--------
Gazing At The Stars
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 13:20
By /u/TheRyanDudeMan

Bild

https://i.redd.it/q7dmxhl3nnf11.png

submitted by /u/TheRyanDudeMan
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #23 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 15:25

--------
Got over myself and got my Avenger a buddy
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 15:20
By /u/Jolly_Paddles

Bild

submitted by /u/Jolly_Paddles
[link] [comments]

Read more...

Cellin from Security Post Kareah
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 15:21
By /u/haiiid2

Bild

submitted by /u/haiiid2
[link] [comments]

Read more...

there guys know how to use stools properly
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 15:21
By /u/haiiid2

Bild

submitted by /u/haiiid2
[link] [comments]

Read more...

levski always looks nice from this elevator to the grand barter
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 15:22
By /u/haiiid2

Bild

submitted by /u/haiiid2
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #24 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 15:30

--------
I would like to have a reasonable conversation about my concerns
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 15:28
By /u/Kazekou

I'm not trying to bait anyone into an argument and I am not here to shit on the project or people hard work.

I am a game dev myself, working on a live game. So I know personally how hard this type of work is. It is monumentally difficult. Managing 3 different technologies and getting them to play nice across a network can be infuriating. Some days you get up in the morning and everything just stops working and you have to work at mad speed to ensure that no disruption hits the players.

I backed this game because I want the project to succeed. So if I get anything wrong. Please correct me. This is not me throwing shade or trying to hurt anyone. It will have been an earnest mistake. And I am happy to retract anything that is incorrect.

The game is over-monetized. This is how I feel. At this point, the budget for Star Citizen will mean that it is in the top 3 most expensive games of all time. And yet, despite the absurd amount of money. The game is still monetized. And that kind of feels immensely rude.

To be clear I could not care less about the UEC cap removal. I think that that is the least important thing to have happened along development. It doesn't interest me (Although I do believe that a few of the defences that I have seen make little sense)

I am talking about ship sales. And new packages and upgrades and subscriptions. And the fact that I know that with almost every new update, there will some new monetization announcement.

The game never stops asking for money. And while I know these purchases are optional. All DLC and extra monetization in optional. If EA, Activision and Ubisoft are not given a pass for additional optional monetizion in a premium game. Why is SC?

The dev-cycle has been absurdly long for something still in Alpha. I genuinely can not think of another project that has spent this long in alpha. And from my own experience with live games, I know that it will add a surprising amount of time to development. So I'm not understanding of the problem. Prior to the Star Engine. If CryEngine or Lumberyard broke down. Cloud Imperium game would probably have to get in contact with the engine owner and wait for a reply. Even if a reply was quick (say 2 days), that would mean that a problem that could be fixed in 1 day, suddenly gets tripled in time to fix. And despite having their own variant, there is still likely some of this going on with Amazon. So I get it, I really do.

However I don't think anyone should ever be happy with a game being in alpha after 7 years. Games use agile development and producers for 2 main reasons. Because games fail often and because actually getting something fun into your player's hands means more than all the best intentions in the world.

If games undergo prolonged development they run the risk of constantly playing catch up to trends and technologies in a rapidly developing industry. As an example. in 2 years, someone might invent the perfect flight model or data streaming tech. And then you're faced with the decision to either stick with what you're doing or incorporate this new technology that will undoubtedly improve your game but also extend it's dev time.

Spending a long time on development can get you stuck in this cycle of constantly having to add more. Not because you're cynical but because you want the game to be the best it possibly could be.

What happens when Nvidia releases it's 1100 technology? What happens if ray tracing technology becomes affordable?

Do we go back into the alpha pipelines? Do we have to redo all the art? And if not, what happens when all your competitors have these technologies incorporated because they iterated in a shorter amount of time? Now players that don't know/care about the realities of development will be perplexed that your game lacks things that other games have as standard.

This is why game dev (and software dev in general) is focused on deliverables and iteration. This way you ensure you commit to a single delivery methodology. And that in the worst case scenarios, you are still capable of delivering some form of interpretation of your vision.

And this concerns me because the game hasn't really been "designed" yet. And what I mean by that is, yes we have a vision for what the game will be but that isn't truly a design. You can make all the stuff in the world, you haven't started designing the game until you think about how that stuff will be "fun", how you want players to use that stuff and how all behaviours within a mechanic relate to one another. And you can only truly start that process after the alpha phase. After you have all your systems locked down, enshrined and can see what tool are in the box, so you can start constructing the game part of your game. And even then you might discover that users use your systems in ways you didn't see or expect, so you have to go back and start again.

And this is the really time intensive part of game development. This takes years to get right. Most AAA games spend the vast majority of the dev cycle on this part of the process. So if Alpha is taking 7 years. Heck lets say 3 years, then do we need to wait another 3 years before the game is "finished"? Another 7? And will they continue monetizing the unfinished product until then?

No publisher on the face of the planet would accept this situation. Every publisher on the planet would laugh if a company in CIGs situation came back asking for more money.

We are Star Citizen's publishers. I don't want us to be unreasonable or unsupportive. But there is a fine line between being supportive and being an enabler. And I'm scared that we've crossed that line.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect CIG to finish the game with the funds that they have already raised. At this point I expect CIG to be throwing things in for free, not asking for more money.

Because if they can't finish the game with $200mn, then they probably shouldn't be making games in the first place.

(I don't think that anything that I've said has been unfair, but feel free to correct me)

submitted by /u/Kazekou
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #25 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 15:35

--------
What if.... the Carrack isnt as good as we think ?
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 15:31
By /u/hausboeller

Look I'm just as curious about the Carrack as everyone here. But what if CIG builds the Carrack differently than we all hope? I mean the released other ships with longrange scanning capabilities, med-beds and more... so maybe CIG cant simply make it the egg laying whoolmilkpig we hope? Or maybe it is but it has less firepower and shields than a gladius?

I do not want to complain but I just wondered what would happen if it was not the perfect ship.

With that said : CIG GIB CARRACK

submitted by /u/hausboeller
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #26 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 16:15

Updated at: So 12. Aug 2018, 16:15

--------
"Shocking Discovery on Daymar: Green Moss has begun growing!"
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 16:11
By /u/jade_starwatcher

Bild

submitted by /u/jade_starwatcher
[link] [comments]

Read more...

How developed is piracy gameplay right now in 3.2?
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 16:11
By /u/MfJonesy

Me and a buddy we're going to buy cargo at an Outpost on Cellin and upon landing we noticed there was another ship already landed there. We figured he was probably buying cargo too so we waited out by his ship and as soon as he came out to his ship we ambushed him and killed him. Sure enough his Cutlass black was filled to the brim with cargo. We thought we were golden and we're patting each other on the back for such an easy payday. Well I went to Grim Hex to try and sell the cargo but I wasn't able to. I wasn't even able to get back in the Cutlass after I landed. I was pretty bummed but I guess piracy isn't that well implemented yet. Does anyone else have any successful piracy stories?

submitted by /u/MfJonesy
[link] [comments]

Read more...

There's something weird with ships in this game
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 16:14
By /u/baubaubuo

So, I'm confused, hear me out. Read to the end before commenting mkay?

When you look at ships in SC you realize some of them are these ginormous structures likely weighing millions of kilos of steel, but when you look at them flying you realize how "light" the feel? I've seen the Reclaimer taking off and it's ridiculous how easily it takes off and moves around, it's like it's hollow in the inside and made of plastic because it moves around with no effort at all.

Big ships take off instantly and when you look at them hovering they feel like they have to exert very very VERY little energy into maintaining level hovering (staying still in mid air).

For a ship like the reclaimer, I'd expect it to have to exert an incalculably astronomical amount of energy to lift, to lift veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly and every single movement it made be very slow and very clunky, given how big it is. Also when it's "afloat", it looks like it can turn in the X axis (roll) in whichever direction and maintain an effortless lift. In real life, if you roll while in mid air, the aircraft will start falling toward the side where the wing tipped downwards, but in game it just stay afloat.

Is this because aircraft ingame use a crazy futuristic technology that controls weight or something like that or because devs haven't implemented flight models and aerodynamics? It really kills immersion to see such immense aircraft maneuvering like they're hollow and weigh as much as a 5-year-old.

Also, if it's the case they haven't implemented flight models and aerodynamics, how are they even gonna work with ships like the reclaimer itself? That thing is as aerodynamic as my bathtub. What I'm saying is if while in atmospheric flight ships have to face the 4 forces (drag (backwards), propulsion (forwards), lift (upwards) and gravity(downwards)), ships like the reclaimer aren't gonna be flightworthy in the least and will instead have to take off like rockets towards zero-G (which would look cool) or have some seriously powerful thrusts to keep it hovering if the player wants to travel within the atmosphere (which I guess would burn an equally incalculably astronomical amount of fuel).

The point is that if they don't implement flight models, aerodynamics and atmospheric flight, ships are gonna look and behave weird. If they do, you're gonna have all kinds of weird implications like flightworthiness and weight.

So, what do devs have in mind? Thanks.

submitted by /u/baubaubuo
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #27 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 16:30

--------
Is r/Starcitizen_trades legit?
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 16:30
By /u/Belugamass

So I am about to pay for an M2 Hercules but I am kinda scared that i'll get scammed. What experiences do you guys have with trading? I am trading right now with a guy with supposedly 900 successful trades. If someone ever has traded with him, he's calles u/ SirDoAlot

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Belugamass
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #28 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 16:35

--------
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIB HYPER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 16:34
By /u/HartOfWave

The man with the slick moves

submitted by /u/HartOfWave
[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/96pur7/つ_つ_gib_hyper_つ_つ/][link][/url] [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/96pur7/つ_つ_gib_hyper_つ_つ/][comments][/url]

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/96pur7/つ_つ_gib_hyper_つ_つ/]Read more...[/url]
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #29 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 17:45

--------
Backer Question
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 17:43
By /u/Nullveer

I recently got a good sizeable amount of money from my grandfather who passed. It's a fair amount to live on while using the rest for investments.

My question is, what kind of return can I get if I was to become a large investor? More specifically what are the dividend ratios, annual percentages and overall market projections?

The way my buddy explained it to me, they are asking for backer investors to continue funding this game and from what I've seen it looks promising. Thanks.

submitted by /u/Nullveer
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

BeitragBeitrag #30 von Reddit SC [RSS Bot] » So 12. Aug 2018, 17:50

Updated at: So 12. Aug 2018, 17:50

--------
Is there any workarounds other than re-logging to fix the "pirate communication breaks ship comms" bug?
Post at: So 12. Aug 2018, 17:47
By /u/XanthosGambit

I didn't actually realize this was a thing until someone told me in chat.

Which explains why I couldn't contact Levski or Olisar landing services.

submitted by /u/XanthosGambit
[link] [comments]

Read more...
Reddit SC [RSS Bot]
1 Jahr Mitglied
Nachrichten Droide

Themenersteller

Werbung

Werbung

VorherigeNächste